Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pillows, Pillows and More Pillows!


I LOVE new pillows!  My hubby thinks I have way to many throughout the house, but they are so much fun and so quick to make!

You can read the first part of this post here where I redid the original couch pillows.  A couple weeks ago I finally got around to the chair that matches! You can read more details about that here!


One of the biggest trends for 2011 is mixing patterns.  I've always played it pretty safe when it comes to mixing patterns, colors, etc.  SO, I am getting out of my comfort zone and adding some excitement to our living room!

Some tips I've learned for mixing patterns:

1. Vary the size and scale of patterns to ensure they compliment and do not compete with one another.  Use larger scale patterns on larger items.

2.  Don't be afraid to mix stripes, checks, floral, and graphic fabrics.  It's always a good idea to throw in at least one solid to keep it from getting too busy. 

3.  Start by picking one fabric that you absolutely love, and look for fabrics that mesh well with that fabric.

4. There is really no right or wrong, just find what you love and run with it!


I found this fabric that I LOVE from thefabricstore on Etsy.  It's called "It's a Hoot Trees in Pistachio Marshmallow by MoMo for Moda". They have such cute fabrics, be sure and check them out!


It took me one hour to make two of these pistachio pillows - including, cutting, sewing and cleaning up the mess! So fast!


18 comments:

  1. These look awesome! I love how they stand out against the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Staci! I have given you an award. I hope you will stop by and accept it!
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a thing for pillows as well. Yours are great. I love all the different colors. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so cute! Decorative pillows are so expensive to buy, it is so nice you can make them.
    Thanks for linking to my Organizing Mission Monday link party

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO pretty!!! Great job! Just popping over from Sew Chatty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pillows! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and am finally going to give it a try this weekend! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look great, and i love that fabric. i am finally getting into adding more pillows and mixing patterns-i just got some napkins that a friend is offering to make into pillows! yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fabric! LOVE how these turned out! Just came across your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love making my own pillows!! Your fabrics are really nice :) thanks for sharing - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric! Thank you for sharing your creation with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just all those fabrics! Gorgeous!
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm dying for some green and white pillows for my new sofa! This is a FANTASTIC project. Great idea! I'm loving your blog! All your projects, I'm so going to hack them! I'm also a new follower =)
    I would be delighted if you would link this to my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-6.html

    Cheers!
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabric you picked out. they work so well together and give your sofa a new, fresh look for spring. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I need to try my hand at this pattern mixing! I'm going to start with the master bedroom and see what I can come up with! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just Made some pillows...so i thought i would see yours too. Loved the green one instantly, where did you get the fabric?

    thanks for sharing
    chickhardware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the patterns - so pretty! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade. ;)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was instantly attracted to that beautiful green print so I wasn't surprised it came from the it's a hoot range! i love your pillows.

    PS I made a tote and a fabric covered canvas from other prints in the same range. Have a look if you like!

    http://elegantpaws.blogspot.com/2011/03/crafty-birthday-presents.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the different colours and patterns you used. I need to funk up my couch...pillows seem to be a great solution! Thanks for sharing!

    Cath @ Home is Where my Heart is: http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete