Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Recipe Card Holder

One thing that drives me crazy when I'm cooking is digging for my recipe cards amidst the clutter of ingredients on my counter!  I was at my grandma's house this past weekend and she had a wooden recipe card holder.  Unfortunately, it was from 1974!  They just don't make things like they used to!  With the help of Hobby Lobby I decided to make my own!  I just love the way it turned out!



Here's how I did it:

Hobby Lobby has all sorts off fun Wood Shoppe products!  For this project I used a jumbo paper clip, one wooden nickel, a candlestick and a base.  You can either get these on sale or wait until they have a 40% coupon and they are super inexpensive!


First I used the Dremel to grind the candlestick to the angle I needed it.



Then I glued the candlestick, base and paperclip together.


I spray painted with Rustoleum Heirloom White.  Rustoleum has better covereage than other spray paints I've used.  You can find this at Home Depot.  Tip: I actually used a clip while I painted the paper clip to get the inside!

I thought it looked a little dull so I painted a wooden nickel with green acrylic paint and stenciled on an "m".  This is where a Silhouette machine would come in very handy!  I actually had to paint this a few times with the stencil before it came out the way I wanted! I wrapped a little jute around it and called it a day!




I think this little guy will get a lot of use!

31 comments:

  1. That is an adorable idea! I need one of those. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great idea! I am going to borrow it! Thanks for linking to photo tuesday!hope to see you next tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it... The initial is perfect!! :-)
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! I love the monogram. I think everything should be monogramed :) Thanks for linking it up today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up!! I have to say, I NEED one of these! I am forever struggling to keep track of my recipes amidst my cooking clutter too.

    I hope you'll link up again next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totallt love this! I need one! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. Welcome to blogland! Love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it!

    Radnav
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this idea!!! Thanks for linking it up and sharing on Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. Hope you stop by again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH dear! Haha! I was logged in on my son's account. Oh well. Same comment as above, just from me not him :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute, and excellent tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute. I should start now and make those
    for Christmas gifts for next year. (I say that
    every year. It hasn't happened yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute, and would be such a fun girlfriend gift! I am your newest follower :)

    <3

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic... what a top idea - I am off to follow you now - if you get a chance stop by at my blog, say hi and have a wander around!
    The Spangler @
    The Quick Unpick

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a fantastic idea, and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello all,

    What a unique favor idea! I love it!
    recipe cards

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your project so much I featured it this week!

    Come grab a button if you'd like. You deserve it. ;)

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greetings! This is just the most adorable thing! GREAT JOB -- I love it!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. My grandmother kept hers in a old tin. I like this idea better. Thanks for the great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. so cute! I need one or ten of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so super cute!!! You could use it for lots of things. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love this!!!! What a creative idea and I have to agree there is nothing worst than fishing around for your recipe when the hands are covered with butter:) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello!! I am your newest follower~! Love this!! Hope you will stop by and follow Simple As 1-2-3~~

    http://simpleas1-2-3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy cow I love your blog! I just featured this on my blog www.auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com, come by and grab a button if you would like!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Stacey! I wanted to let you I featured this on my blog this morning :) It's such a wonderfully simple and cute idea.

    www.designergarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this idea! I featured you on my blog this morning. Feel free to check it out! Happy Spring!
    Jen

    http://jen-simplyliving.blogspot.com/2011/03/stuff-i-like-sunday-7-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a genius and outstanding creation. I am surprised.It is an wooden artwork. I like the wooden recipe card holder

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice blog about Card holder. I like the post.. metal business cards

    ReplyDelete