Sunday, January 2, 2011

Picture and Card Holder

I am so excited about this project!  I saw the gilt frame card holder at Pottery Barn and knew I just had to have something like it!  It is so great to display the Christmas cards, birthday cards and pictures that always seem to clutter our counter. I loved the look of these chairs from Shanty 2 Chic and wanted to incorporate the numbers and stripes.



I love that I can leave them plain or add pictures.  "Functional" is my game plan for 2011!

Here's how I did it:

I bought a 10'x11"x1" board from Home Depot and used my hubby's miter saw to cut the wood into 3 - 36" boards (more like he cut the wood and I assisted... aka took a pic with the power tool).  


I spray painted the boards with Rustoleum Heirloom White.


Next I used the Dremel to grind the edges.  I've learned this is much faster than sanding!


Next I grabbed my fabulous fabric I got from the Et Cetera shop for about 10 cents!


I traced my numbers onto Steam a Seam fusible web.  Tip: You have to trace the numbers on backwards in order for them to fuse correctly.




I stuck one side of the fusible web to the fabric and cut out the numbers from the pattern I'd drawn.  


I peeled the other side of the fusible web off and stuck the numbers to my board.


I ironed the numbers onto the boards, hot glued the ribbon and twine, and added a tooth hanger from my picture hanging kit.


Love them already!


I painted some clothespins and hung our pictures...  which will lead me to another project.  Getting some updated pictures printed!  But for now, we'll display a few of our wedding pics.



11 comments:

  1. I've been trying to decide on something to go over our buffet table in the dining room...think I just found it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Steam a seam! I've never used it on wood but it looks great. I'm gonna try that.
    Love your blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll follow you if you follow me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea for fabric numbers! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job & I love the colors! Thanks so much for sharing at Gettin' Krafty With It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! And it was executed so well. Aren't miter saws so fun??? Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! What a fun way to show off your pics! Thanks so much for linking up! I hope you'll stop by Tute {Yourself} Tuesday again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. As much as power tools scare me, I need to learn this spring how to use a saw...

    These boards look great!

    If you have a moment tonight, please link up to Creative Juice Thursday...

    <3
    nicolette @

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2011/01/creative-juice-thursday-6-features-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspired! How lovely! Thank you for your tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great piece of decor! I love that it's functional, too! Thanks for sharing at the Craft Catwalk!

    ReplyDelete